Monday, April 4, 2011

My yin and my yang.

Other than traveling, one of my and Matt's favorite things to do is to go see music. And we've been lucky enough to see a wide range of artists on stages across the US. Little Richard, Jane's Addiction, Doc Watson, the Avett Brothers, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Levon Helm, Karl Denson, John Hartford, Prince, Ricky Scaggs, Snoop Dogg with Dr. Dre and Eminem, the Allman Bros., George Clinton, Bruce Hornsby, etc. etc. etc. When we met, we went on tour with Widespread Panic for 2 months, and along the way stopped at a bluegrass festival in NC and other festivals in Nashville and Memphis. Since that first trip 11 years ago, we've enjoyed many more music-themed experiences, some close to home, some thousands of miles away. We usually see friends from all over the country at shows and we always have a smashing good time.
Since the kids moved in were born, we haven't had the energy or time to peace out for a weekend at a festival as often, so when we get the chance to get away for a show, we take full advantage of the opportunity. However, recovering from a wild weekend away takes far longer than it used to. The recovery process from a one-night event is more akin to what the recovery process from a three-night event used to be. Getting old is really starting to suck, people.
In spite of our ages (Note the s on the end of age. I'm the young one!), last Saturday afternoon we put our party hats on and happily kissed the kids and the puppy goodbye, thanking my parents as we dashed out the door before they had time to change their minds. We met up with our good pals, Adam and Elissa, in the Low Country of SC to see Bob Weir and Phil Lesh capitalize on the fame that was the Grateful Dead Furthur play at North Charleston Coliseum. As usual, the music was great, the company was awesome, and the libations were flowing.
We had so much fun. So much fun that we danced and laughed and sang and made new friends as the fellas from the Dead played timeless, soul-pleasing music. So much fun that Elissa and I continued the party and climbed the trees outside the hotel after the show was over... and that we found ourselves in the drive-thru line at McDonald's at 1.30 in the morning... and that even after 7 good hours of sleep in a quiet hotel room, my head was sobbing the next morning. So much fun that I felt like Phil Lesh's first liver the whole next day. Owww.

So, my age is catching up to me. So what. I still know how to have a good time, and I can still hang with the cool kids on the playground of life. I may drive a minivan to concerts now, but I don't care... I can fit more friends in the car.

After the weekend is over and I've restored myself to mommy mode, I always seem to find a better appreciation for both of those parts of my life: the grounded one that yearns for my babies and loves to take care of my family and the one that likes to be carefree and wild and free-spirited. Though the latter is not as prevalent as it used to be, the two parts balance each other out. They are my yin and my yang.

1 comment:

  1. You know your kids are gonna read this one day right? Take the 5th Mary! Always take the 5th!

    ReplyDelete