Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Always proud of her.

Yesterday evening marked my Ella's 5th official game of her first baseball season. It should have been #6, but last Thursday's game was rained out. I gotta be honest here... after being up at the ballpark twice a week every week for the past 2 months, a cancelled game due to inclement weather was received with open arms. (And this is coming from a gal who cowers at stormy weather... a mom who just two nights ago pulled her kids onto a pallet in the hallway after loud, howling winds and booming thunder woke her up at 3 in the morning. Maybe I need a storm shelter. Or a therapist. Probably both.)

I am sure a make-up game is in the works, but I don't have to deal with that until May, so I'm not gonna worry about it right now. I mean, there's already enough to worry about with all of that radioactive water gushing into the Pacific Ocean. Hell. We might not even get the chance to play ball in May if cesium-laced precipitation is falling from the sky. Who wants their kids jumping in those puddles? Not me. I already have a hard enough time getting the red dirt out of uniforms. I can't imagine the lengths one has to go through to clean radioactive material out of baseball pants.

Anyways, last night's game wasn't the best of the season for my girl. Don't take this the wrong way... she's still awesome. She's always awesome. She can ground balls like anyone else and has a mean arm to throw the ball. And she can usually smack it hard with her bat when the ball is pitched to her. However, last night was the first night she didn't hit at least one pitch. (The rule for her league is 3 pitches, then the tee. Of course, most teams pitch 4 or 5, but does it really matter in the big scheme of things? Hello? Japan is dying.) But she was bummed out that she didn't get one coach's pitch.
I can understand her disappointment. She is 1 of 2 girls on the team of 9 players, so part of it is a girl-power thing (I am raising a feminist as well as a liberal, people). Another part of it is that she wants to make her Popi proud. He is her head coach, after all. Even more, she wants to make me proud. From experience, making my parents proud is one way that I feel satisfied about who I am... so I know that she feels good about herself when she sees a beaming smile on my face when she does something well. There's a level of validation that resides in that kind of a smile.

In this vein of thought, she should know that I'm always proud of her. She's smart, kind, independent, beautiful, and strong. She works so hard and loves with all of her heart. I know that many, hopefully all, moms feel that way about their kids, so I would never say that she's better at being a person than anyone else. I don't like to draw comparisons. I am proud of her for simply being who she is. Regardless of whether or not she hits that coach's pitch every time, she's out there... putting her best foot forward, and she does this in anything she tries. And that makes me a proud mommy. I love my Ella so much. Good job, my sweet girl.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of our sweet Ella, too! One thing I want to point out is that I raised you to be a conservative and a demur young lady...neither of which happened so you might want to try my strategy to get yourself a strong-willed, liberal for a daughter! That said I love you for who YOU are and independent thinker, who is passionate about everything! You make me a more independent thinker and a moderate so we've come a long way baby!!

    ReplyDelete