Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Namaste Kind of Day

Today was definitely the namaste kind of day that my heart has been missing. Of course, any day that begins with Sun Salutations A, B, C, and D is gonna be a good one. Perhaps the fact that yesterday wat the last official day of classes for Midlands Tech helped ease my soul. My students still have to submit portfolios, but the semester is pretty much over! Ahhhhh. I now, for the most part, own my mornings again. Sure, I'm in partnership with my Ella and Summit on the a.m. train, but at least we don't have to share it with anyone else. AND, I get a break from the paying job (being a wife and a mommy are pro-bono work) until summer school begins on May 18th! Phew!

To celebrate, I went to bed early (well, for me) and woke up early (again, for me) and caught my favorite morning yoga class. And, man, was it amazing and relaxing and exhausting all at once, all from the start. One of the most significant aspects of yoga is linking breath with movement. This is something that we should take off the mat and into our everyday lives. I forgot how important this simple act is, how grounding it can be. And, I needed to be grounded. I needed a reminder to slow down and enjoy just living. Just being. Having a still mind. The class kicked my ass, but in a fantastic way... it worked out the mental kinks (yeah, I've got mental kinks. Anyone who says otherwise is a big, fat liar) and made me stronger physically and spiritually. And you know a yoga class is successful when, during the final relaxation at the end, you actually go into that half-awake, half-dreaming world. I love that place, and I loved being there today.
When I was done with yoga, I decided I needed a new haircut, but I needed a new person. I am the kind of gal who doesn't mind paying the extra cash for a good stylist; in fact, I seek one out. I've had plenty of bad haircuts to know that this makes a difference. After a hiatus from the Carmen! Carmen! salon, I decided to give them a ring and see about trying out someone new. I knew this day was mine when one of their top stylists had a random opening and could see me 2 hours after I called. (I'm also the kind of gal who enjoys a good impulsive haircut.) My dad agreed to have Summit hang out with him for an hour while my girl (well, new girl) Chelsea worked some magic on me. And, thank god she did; I was looking extremely rough around the old edges.

After I scooped Summit up from his Popi, he passed out in his carseat. I had some time to kill before getting Ella from school, so I drove to my grandparents' old house and relished in some of the memories of my childhood (like when Angie beat us up for those eggs). Maybe I looked like a stalker just parked in front of the house (which my grandma sold 16 years ago), but I didn't really care. It was calming to remember the fun of Grandma and Popa's. I recalled the way the doors sounded when they opened and shut and picking camelias and gardenias off the bushes. I remembered the sheers in the front living room and dress-up clothes in the guest room. I went back to a time when my dad and I would fish for brim in the pond out back. I could have sat there for hours, but I'm sure that wouldn't have been a good idea.
On the way to get my Ella, I stopped at the produce stand on Old Bush River Road for boiled peanuts. New crop boiled peanuts, which, connoisseurs of these southern delicacies know, is the best kind, and this bag delivered in spades. They were salted and boiled to perfection. After getting Ella, we cruised home for a rest before the baseball game tonight, a game that I'm really looking forward to. I know that the kids will have fun and that is the perfect way to end this day. Seriously.

This has been the kind of day that makes my heart sing. A calm, refreshing, peaceful, reflective day. Days like this... when things work out just so, when all the planets seem to line up... are few and far between. For this day, I am so thankful. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment