Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's because you love me.

So, I've noticed that most of my posts on here have been about my Ella, and I have pretty much neglected to say so much about my Summit. You guys might think that he's the mute, spurned, red-headed stepchild who lives under the stairway and whom we push food to under the door once a day. Well, he's not. I promise.


I guess it's true that the second does get kind of left behind in some ways. When I was pregnant with him, I didn't check Baby Center every day like I did for Ella to see how he was developing, and I occasionally drank coffee and ate deli meat when he was living inside of me. When he was born, we were ecstatic to meet our little man, but the number of pictures that we took decreased. Our photos for Ella were stored by month for her first 2 years, and we have tens of thousands of her first moments. Summit's first photos are stored by seasons, and we have just hundreds for each month. Rather than following all of the rules to a T for the little fella, we were sort of lax. I let him sleep in bed with us. We put rice cereal in his milk at 3 months. I didn't use Dreft for his laundry as long as I did for his sister. Sorry, Summit.


But, he's just fine now. He's awesome. I suppose that I was far more relaxed the second time around, and I am pretty sure that rubbed off on his personality. Or maybe it's just in his nature to be mellow. He never really has been a complainer. Even when he was first born, he didn't cry, and I swear that when he first saw us in the delivery room he smiled at us. I swear it. Summit's a go-with-the-flow kind of dude. And he's super happy. Nothing really seems to bother him... well, as long as he's got Jurassic Park in the bathtub at all times. He was truly one of the sweetest babies I've ever met and he's still just as sweet at 3 years of age. He loves to snuggle (nuggle) and read books and give kisses. And he's so grateful for everything that people do for him. He thanks me when I start his bath or lay out his vitamins. When he's sick, he acknowledges his appreciation of the medicine that we give him. Every morning, after I make his bed, he gives me a great big hug and says, "Tank you so so much for cleaning my room up, Mommy." And my heart melts.


 
In fact, he makes my heart melt all the time. It's amazing how much a little boy can steal a mama's heart, and stolen mine Summit has. The other day I asked him how I got so lucky to have him as my little guy, and he told me, "It's because you love me." Overwhelmed with emotion from these simple words, I started crying, so he asked, "What's wrong, Mommy," started patting my head and going, "Shh. Shh. Shh. It's awight. It's awight." I mean, really? How does he know? How does he know to be so gentle and loving? But, seriously, he ALWAYS is. And in these moments, I can't imagine him ever growing up and leaving me. I can't imagine him ever getting into a car with wild teenage boys or going on dates with girls. I can't imagine sending him to kindergarten...or college for that matter. I can't imagine sharing that love with anyone. That must be one of the hardest things for mothers of little boys to do: to let them go. I don't think I'll ever be prepared for that.

4 comments:

  1. SUmmit is our precious angel, just like his sister! And he won't date, or get into cars with wild boys, or go to college, cause he's going to live in the tower with Ella...remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he will...and eventually it will be OK...
    Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete