Wednesday, February 2, 2011

the mantras

When my Ella was in preschool, I started reciting a mantra with her on the way to Lake Murray Presbyterian in the morning. I would make her repeat the words, "I am strong, intelligent, independent, kind-hearted, and beautiful. I can be anything I want to be when I grow up." This was one of my favorite parts of our mornings. Now that she rides to school with Matt, she has to say it to me before they take off in the morning. Summit started a version of that mantra this year: "I am strong, intelligent, independent, kind-hearted, and handsome. And I do not bite. I can be anything I want to be when Igrow up." (We had to add the biting thing; he used to have a problem with that.)
Knowing how easy it is to let people bring you down, I don't want my kids to have the same insecurities that have inhibited my desires and prevented me from realizing my own dreams. I know that this world is a rough place and that people, kids can be mean as snakes starting at young ages.  Popular cliques outcast certain children for no obvious reason. Teachers will choose favorite students to showcase their accomplishments, which can make other kids feel miniscule and insignificant. Coaches can make kids feel uncoordinated and incapable at times. Even other parents can treat children poorly for not being like their own. Magazine covers show beautifully air-brushed celebrities devoid of cellulite or blemishes. We love the wealthy and have disdain for the needy. Ours is a society that doesn't celebrate differences, but criticizes them. We have bullies that run rampant in all areas of our culture, from school to church to employers to the media. And this can be devastating. It has proven to be.


So, there are mutliple reasons that I have my kids recite these mantras. First, I want them to always be confident and secure in themselves. Second, I want them to be those things that are in their mantras. I want them to be strong and be able to take care of themselves and be able to help others. I want them to know that they are smart and to make sure that they always seek out more knowledge than they have. I want them to be self-sufficient and independent; I don't want them to feel that they have to do what everyone else does. I want them to always be kind-hearted and caring and to treat everyone with respect and love. The world is so in need of more love and kindness. And I want them to always see in themselves the beauty that I do; not just the outer beauty, but the beautiful nature of their souls. They are amazing, and I know that they can make a positive difference in this world. We all can.

2 comments:

  1. "I don't want my kids to have the same insecurities that have inhibited my desires and prevented me from realizing my own dreams." Mary- I could be wrong, but I think your purpose (and gift) in this life is perfectly illustrated in all that is said, and unsaid, in these posts. You were born to be the mother of these two talented and unique children...and what you teach them will be something they bring to everyone in their world...and like a ripple, your kindness and compassion will carry out into the world in ways you will never even imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sweet words, Julie. They mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete