Sunday, May 15, 2011

They are the ones who make a brighter day.

Since the beginning of the school year, Ella's and a partner class have been hosting monthly visits for senior citizens who live at the Lowman Home in Chapin. It's been a great experience for the kids... they get to interact with elderly people, serve them snacks, sing them songs, and provide important love that such a population often misses out on. I am so proud of her teachers and  the kids for being interested in the lives of such special people. As someone who still greatly mourns the loss of my precious grandmother, it brings me to tears every time I see my child being so sweet to someone else's grandmother. And every time I see the old folks, my heart cries for the tenderness of my beautiful, blue-eyed lady.
Last Friday, to tie up the year's worth of visits, the kids went to the Lowman Home for a change. I was really excited to be a part of this field trip. The group of about 30 seniors and the 32 students congregated in what is the chapel for the retirement community. To begin, the residents were wheeled in and positioned around the perimeter of the room, and the kids sat together in the middle. A slide show of the kids and the seniors played as the children sang 3 songs to their aged friends... one which made their (and my) eyes a little damp, and one which made me feel almost as old as the old folks. 

The first, Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World, by Israel "IZ" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole, is a gracefully put-together tune of two songs that my grandparents loved. Not surprisingly, it seemed to fill these people with joy, memories, and a sense of longing for their past lives. They sang along with the kids, some were bobbing their heads (and not just from Parkinson's), and a few had tears coming out of their eyes. It was heartbreaking and beautiful at once, and I regretted not wearing waterproof mascara.
The second was We Are the World, and Mr. Schiesser played the video from the iconic song from nearly 30 years ago as they sang. Hearing the kids sing the words was moving. They are the world. They are our future. As such, it is so important that we provide them with the best possibilities for productive lives. The funny part, for me, was seeing all of those 80s superstars in all their glory. Lionel Richie, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Cyndi Lauper, Kenny Rogers, Dionne Warwick, Al Jarreau, Tina Turner, The Pointer Sisters, Smokey Robinson, Ray Charles, Hall and Oates, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen... O.M.G. I was transported back to the main portion of my elementary years, and I remembered when that song came out. And I felt old. Well, not as old as the people there, but pretty old. But I went back to a time in my life when I was those kids' ages, and I recalled how big and promising the world was. And I loved seeing on their faces, as they sang that song, how big and promising it is for them. 

After a pretty bad magic show by a parent, the kids were sent to visit the rooms of other residents to whom they read books from home. My group of 4 worked a hall until the old folks were ready to kick us out and/or beg for mercy. I'm half joking here. They were all women who really appreciated the company, and they all had black-and-white wedding portraits on display. It was obvious that they mourned not only their husbands, but the lives they lead before moving into a nursing home. A few of them asked if Ella and I could come back to visit, as they had no family in their lives. And I wondered how in the world they ended up there... it was so sad to hear their stories. I hope and pray that such a life is not in my future. 
When the reading was done, the sweet employees served up a meal of thanks for all the time and effort the kids and teachers had put into providing company and entertainment to the seniors. It was a perfect end to a wonderful experience for these children. Besides learning social etiquette, like not to say, "That one threw up, Mommy," they got to understand that life is difficult for people and it's important to be kind and giving and willing to spend time with others who are in need. They learned that they can be "the ones who make a brighter day." 

We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me 

No comments:

Post a Comment