Monday, May 9, 2011

For My Mother

So often I know that I take my mother for granted. I know that I don't always let her know how much I appreciate the love that she gives me and my kids and the rest of our family... all of the times that she goes out of her way to make our lives a little easier... all of the crap that she puts up with that goes along with being a mom. But the thing is, I do.
As far as mothers go, I'm one lucky daughter. My mother is absolutely beautiful. Stunning. She's got these brilliant blue eyes and gorgeous features. Despite how utterly crazy she can be at times, I know that she always has her family at the forefront of her mind. Perhaps one many of the reasons that she's a little cooky is because we've driven her there. Somehow, though, she's perservered. She's been to the brink, looked over the edge, and managed to pull herself back. And, that amazes me.
To be certain, she's put up with a lot from her children (well, mostly my brothers. Ha!). She's dealt with silly, scary pranks of creepy crawly animals and tall tales. She's pulled us from harm's way on more than one occasion and saved us from poor decisions all the while letting us know that we're good inspite of ourselves. She's comforted us in times of sorrow and heartache and listened to us yell and scream and fight and whine and complain. She's mended fences and saved relationships. She's shared in our triumphs and supported our endeavours, no matter how precarious they may be. She's given of herself far more than we deserved, far more than we've reciprocated.
And she's done all of this without expectations, without strings attached. With affection and hope and encouragement and honesty.

My mom loves with a big heart. She provides for us emotionally and materially. She worries (okay, this can drive me bananas) for our safety and well-being. She takes care of us. My mother adores her family... her husband and children and grandchildren, and she wants us to be around her... even when we're punks. And each and every one of us are blessed beyond measure. We are so fortunate to have her in our lives, even though we probably don't deserve her.


So, on this day... in honor of all that she's done and all that she does... I want you to know, Mother, just how remarkable you are. I love you so very, very, very much. Thank you. A million times over. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment