Friday, May 6, 2011

He multiplied it...

It's hard for me to believe that it's actually been four years. Four years. Four amazing, hilarious, incredible, love-filled years have passed since the day that my sweet baby boy made his first appearance in this world (well outside of my body). As far as first impressions go, at least from my perspective, I wasn't so sure how it would work out. The ten months leading up to his birth were filled with constant throwing up and other really uncomfortable bathroom experiences. I thought that if he were to create trauma on the outside akin to the physical illness he bestowed in utero... well, perhaps he'd be a terrorist or something. But second impressions proved the first wrong, and he was remarkable from the first breath he ever took.
I know I've said it before, but I must say it again. Summit came out smiling. There were no screams. There were no tears. He was ready to get down to the business of living. And making people happy. It was like I'd given birth to a little Buddha. Round, short, and with a gentle grin on his face, he was just there. Happy. Happy to meet the family who'd been speaking through my stomach for so many months. Happy to see the faces who he immediately loved and happy to see that they loved him back just as much. Happy. Just Happy.
And he's been that way for all of the four years that he's been making footprints on the earth. He loves big. He laughs big. He smiles big. He gives big. He makes other people feel good about life. He gives people a reason to laugh... and people always want to be around him. His imagination is as wild as the Old West. The questions that he asks are bizzare and inciteful and brilliant. They make me realize that I need to be more inquisitive and pay closer attention to the world. I know that the life ahead of him is vast and exciting and remarkable. I don't think he will have it any other way.
And I wouldn't have him any other way. He is my sweet Summi Poopers. My baby boy. My little love who always has a hug and a kiss for his mommy no matter how mad he thinks he might be. He can't fight against  being sweet and kind. Like today, when he tried to be angry for not getting a juice box exactly when he wanted, I was still able to wrangle a kiss and a hug from him... he was literally unable to be mad. He just forgot to be mad. And he started to laugh his big belly laugh and the world was right again. He's a perfect example of good beating bad.
When I found out he was going to be, I was scared. I never thought that I'd be able to love a second baby as much as I love my Ella, but he proved me wrong. There is enough love to go around. Because he was born, there's more love. He multiplied it.
Happy birthday to you, my sweet Summit! I love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment