Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Family. Friends. Fun. Food.

This past holiday weekend was a great one, folks. Great. And full. It was really full. Full of family, friends, fun, and food. If life is measured by the amount that one has of each of these four Fs, then my life is pretty well successful, and I am more than satisfied.

Saturday morning began with a trip on the lake to see the July 4th Parade of Boats. The weather was warm, the water was refreshing, and a good time was had by all. We swam, and Ella and Summit demonstrated their talents for flipping into the lake. When the Lake Nose (Summit's name for Popi is not Loch Ness) Monster got tired of chasing after the kids, it was time to head back to dry land and another gathering.



Every year, my dear friends meet up at the Smith Compound for pool play, treks through the creek, delicious slow-cooked BBQ, blueberry yum yum, ice cold beverages, and fabulous fireworks. Several things are always certain for these 4th of July hoe downs. Someone's gonna do something they shouldn't with the golf cart. Somebody's gonna put their drinking abilities on full display. The food is gonna rock. The fireworks will be bigger than the year before. The sounds of kids laughing and playing will be heard over and over. And, everyone will have a blast. It's just always that way.

Sunday was for sleeping in, and even Summit wasn't awake with the birds that morning. Sunday afternoon was for more family fun when my Aunt Nita and Uncle Ed arrived from Connecticut and Uncle Butch and Aunt Debbie got in from North Carolina. I love it when they visit. I love seeing my dad with his brother and sister; it's good for the soul. We ate and swam in the pool and laughed ate burgers and laughed and swam some more and laughed. Then we laughed some more at Matt's fireworks. Let's just say they were 'cute.'


Monday was given to more swimming and eating. Popi made Babi into a Babi Board for Ella to surf on in the pool, and we just chilled for the afternoon. I made a pretty good Beaufort Stew and some blueberry/strawberry dessert for everyone. The day ended with a game of poker, at which I won a whole single pot. But, whatever, they weren't playing for real money, and my mom kept taking people's chips out of the pot. She's a cheater.
This morning, when I woke up, I was wiped out. But with good, good reason. Family. Friends. Fun. Food.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being a part of so many memories! I LOVE them all!

    ReplyDelete