Monday, July 25, 2011

It's what the cameras are for.

 
One of the very top things on my list of 'Loves To Do' is taking pictures of my Ella and Summit. For several reasons. Part of this love is owed to my sweet grandmother, who always had her camera out. Always. She had to record everything in photos. She always told me if her ship was sinking and she had time to save but one belonging, she'd grab her photo albums. I never got this as a kid, because I always loved the jewelry that Popa gave her. As I've kind of matured a little, I've begun to see things from her perspective. And as technology has matured, I bet she'd love digital photography... that actually allows you to choose which pictures to keep without ending up with 24 exposures of people you have to identify by clothes and shoes... or those pictures with a finger covering half of the landscape... what a bummer it must have been to get your film developed and have only 3 half-way decent photos. Furthermore, if I couldn't delete all the double-chinned photos of myself, I would never step foot in front of a camera. Ever.
Which brings me to my second reason for loving to capture my kids in pictures. It's not me in front of the camera. I may quite possibly be the world's most non-photogenic person. This is no lie. This is no exaggeration. I am absolutely heinous in most pictures that are taken of me. Eyes barely open, mouth in a half-smile-half-frown, chins draping down to my belly button, hunch-backed and slouching. Some say the camera naturally adds 10 pounds to everyone. Well, for me, that mother adds 150. I swear I don't have a single good angle. Not one. Not even if I'm hiding behind a curtain. It's depressing and sad... especially when my dad says stuff like, "Cameras don't lie, Mary Rose." Really, Dad? Thanks a freaking lot. If that's the case, then I suppose my real parents were somehow genetically crossed with hippopotamuses and goats.
My kids, on the other hand, don't lend themselves to bad pictures. I'm sure part of it has to do with the fact that I'm such an amazing photographer (ha!). But, really, they are beautiful. Simply beautiful. Quit rolling your eyes; I know I'm biased, but I am always amazed at how sweet and flawless they seem in pictures. Of course, if the pictures could speak, the viewer would realize that they can be total knuckleheads for a good portion of every one of their waking hours. In the pictures, though, they sparkle. Their eyes shine. Smiles illuminate their faces. The essences of who they are, of their happiness, of life and love... these things resonate through the images.
It probably helps that they're usually doing fun stuff when the camera's around. And, it's these memories that I like to hold onto. The good times. The laughter. Our lives as a family... blessed beyond imagination with my sweet Ella and Summit. I couldn't ask for anything more. Unless I could hold onto this time in my life forever. If time could stand still. But, that's what these cameras are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment