Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Finding the Happy

In light of my big, huge rant yesterday, I realize that some of my pals out there may think I've lost my mind and that I'm one big angry mess. Well, while that may be partially true...I'm not completely destroyed. I know that there is a whole lot to be thankful for. I have awesome kids, a great husband, and a nice (albeit small) home. I have a wonderful family and delicious friends. But, everyone reaches a breaking point. Everyone. I think it's a damn shame when we feel forced to keep so much frustration bottled up inside, so I was merely letting out some of that pressure...trying to let my people know that they aren't the only ones who feel like they might explode some of the time and that it's okay to vent.

Today, I've focused on the good stuff...looking past the things I so desperately want to change or improve upon or have control over...I've sought out the humor, because, as we all know, life is way better when we're able to find the happy. So, here are some of the things that I appreciate about my life on this day:
  • My kids. They know I've got a lot going on...and just when I thought that they might kill each other from my lack of focus on them, just when I thought that they don't hear a thing I tell them or that they haven't absorbed a thing I've tried to teach them, they go and make me a book about the ways they think I'm special. And, if having your kids tell you that you're exciting, loveable, loyal, adorable, a good reader and cook, in addition to being pretty when you know you look like a humpback gorilla doesn't put a smile on your face, there's no hope. P.S. I am aware that the 16 was crossed out to make 15.
  • Ella's rendering of Matt on her dry erase board. Um? Awesome.
  • Summit playing his version of Adele's 'Rumor Has It' on the guitar and singing along. Off-key never sounded so good.
  • The dog being on her best behavior while I gave her a flea bath. (That could have ended up one of two ways.)
  • Getting to actually speak to Ella's neurologist's assistant on the fourth call this morning rather than getting her voice mail for the fourth time. And, it's good that I did, seeing as how she lost my message from 8 a.m. How about that! Neurotic behavior has its rewards.
  • Boxing up all of our winter stuff to make more room in our bedroom closet. (The house BETTER be sold by the time I need sweaters and jeans again. If it's not, I'm abandoning ship.)
  • Listening to Ella explain to Summit why it's not a good idea to put an ice pack in his underwear. (Why couldn't he figure this out on his own?)
  • Having the good sense to know what not to wear while I'm carrying an extra humam in my body. Being in a bathing suit is quite a challenge when pregnant, and I'm really thankful that I didn't look like this at any of the Memorial Day celebrations that we were part of this past weekend. Clearly Tori Spelling didn't get the memo. (Monokinis are not pregnant lady friends.) In Summit's words: "That is inappropriate." Yes, my little man, it is.
 

See. I do know that life isn't so bad. Do I expect to have more freak outs before this baby comes? Absolutely. Do I know that I'll find myself miserable and annoyed and angry? Sure. But, I know where the happy is. I know what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment