Sunday, January 23, 2011

Little hands, big trust





There is nothing in the world like the feeling of your child's little hand reaching up to grasp onto your own. In that small act live a million little meanings that are so important and special. Every time my Ella or Summit put their little fingers around my hand, I get the warmest feeling. This is one of my favourite things. At once I am reminded of how fortunate I am. I mean, these are my babies, and despite how utterly crazy I can be at times, they still want to hold MY hand. As far as having someone to grab onto whenever they need that extra protection and encouragement, I get to be their go-to person! Me! They trust me to take care of them and make sure that they make it safely in which ever direction it is that they are going. When they are scared or shy or nervous or excited or happy or sad, they put their little paws into my big one and hang on with love and trust and sweet gentleness.


I love their little hands. Hands that can be covered with worm guts (Ella) or paint, with garden dirt under their fingernails or dried runny nose on their palms. Hands that I know dont always get washed after a trip to the potty. Hands that pick candy up off of restaurant floors (you know who you are, Summit). No matter the level of contamination, I still love their hands, and I love when I get to hold them.

And I'll never forget that in this tiny moment, they are putting their lives in my hands.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Mary. So sweet and it makes us remember times goes by so fast.......

    ReplyDelete