Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Heart Act to Follow

                                   
Today my sweet Ella Kathryn came home from school with a notification that she is going to be honored for a kind act that she displayed at school. Students who show positive, nurturing, kind behavior are recognized at a ceremony called "A Heart Act to Follow" where they are bequeathed certificates and pins on stage in the little arena. She received this award last year in kindergarten, also, when she read a book to a fellow classmate who was having a hard time listening to the teacher. This year, she helped the custodians clean up the cafeteria after lunch even though it was not asked of her (if only she'd do this at home). Small acts, yes, but huge accolades in younger years can turn these minor gestures into much grander expressions of generosity and good will later in life.

When I think about where my little girl gets her good heart, I look to the people who taught me the difference between right and wrong, compassion and mean-spiritedness, grace and mercilessness, and I am inundated with the essences of these people whom I hold dear to my heart.

My grandmother was an amazing woman who was truly a "heart act to follow." She had the lightness and gentleness of a ladybug.  She was patient and trusting, kind and loving, generous and humble. She listened with all of her heart and loved with even more. She would have done absolutely anything for anyone, and even more for those who were her family: her husband, her children and grandchildren, her sons-in-law and brother, her mother and her great-grandchildren...these people made her world go 'round and she never failed to let us know just how much she treasured us. She was remarkable, and I know that with every breath she took she cultivated that beautiful decency in the lives of those with whom she was closest.


For this reason, I honor my grandmother today, knowing that a large part of the reason that my little girl receives such acknowledgement for her own kindness is because she is reflecting at least a small amount of all that my grandmother passed on to her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Though she has left this earth, her essence floats around and spreads its seeds just like a dandelion blowing in the wind. Thank you, Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment