Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Girl Like Her

A few days ago, my sweet Ella asked me if I wanted her to be like me when she grows up - stop laughing - I know that's a terrible idea, too. :) And, so I asked her if whe wanted to be like me, to which she replied, emphatically, "Yes!" And, I smiled. Of course I'd like to think that I was such an awesome mommy, person, role model, what have you, that my precious girl would want to emulate me - be just like me - but I know better than that.

I'm the first to admit I'm deeply flawed - insecurity has not escaped me - perfect I am not. I'm not horrible, mind you, but sometimes all of my super powers don't work when I need them to.

I know that my kids are better than me. They're way more right on than I could ever hope to have been or be - and I'm okay with that. It makes me proud to know that their super powers are more functional. Knowing that they are mine, my babies, products of my guidance, my people - and that they're good people is the thumbs up to know I'm not a total flop at this mommy work.

So, when my girl does the stuff she does, I tell her how extra special awesome it is that she does it, hoping that she'll keep doing it and going bigger. A couple of weeks ago, Ella ran her first race in the kids' marathon leg of Columbia's Famously Hot/Exceptionally Cool full marathon. For a month she and my dad trained, running across the Lake Murray Dam after school and on the weekends. And, I was impressed. When I was 7, I was barely running bases in softball. But, there my Ella was - running farther and farther each time - learning about setting pace, breathing, and simply the importance of being healthy.
When the big day arrived she was ready. She and Popi were all set to race, and race well. Even the 7 am start time didn't hinder her, my girl who likes to sleep in. And, she did it! She was one of the youngest participants out there, and she did it! She rocked it out. My girl. MY girl!
In times like this, I realize that I'd like to say she's a runner like me, a softball player like me, a reader, a writer, a dreamer like me... but I know the truth. She's way more. She's way cooler than me. And I'm cool with that. In fact, I want to be like her when I grow up. A girl like her.






1 comment: