Monday, April 23, 2012

10 Years Later

So, I'll admit that my life ain't as excitin' as it used ta be. Not at all. Well, not in the way it used to be. There are certainly moments that can be classified as wild, crazy, and heart-pumping...but in a much different way than, say, 10 years ago.

Oh, 10 years ago, to see you guys again for even a week....What would that look like? There would be traveling, lots of traveling. There would be late nights filled with adult sorts of fun (as opposed to puking kids or little ones waking me up to crawl in my bed), good music, not so many dishes in the sink, dinners out, last minute decisions to go somewhere or do something. There would be sleeping. Lots of sleeping. Oh, 10 years ago.

Ahh, the fun. The irresponsibility. Maybe that's the biggest key...life without kids allows so much irresponsibility. How amazing that irresponsibility is when you have to be just so responsible. Especially when responsibility spills into everything you do and are. Everything. Like a ninja...and you don't even realize it's happened before it's too late to turn it around.

Take for instance the music in my car. Once upon a time, my drive along music choices were symbols of my emotions, my moods...they took me places or were an indication of where I was going...they were relevant. They were cool. Now, not so much....I suppose it was a good 7 years ago that NPR began playing in my car more often than anything else. At least that was intellectually stimulating. Cool on some level. And, now, it's gone to a whole new place. A whole other leap from 10 years ago. I didn't notice it at first. I suppose it was the ninja element. But, Matt did. It was hard to admit that he was right...that I didn't even recognize that the children's Silly Songs were playing in my car...WITHOUT the kids in the car...with just me and Matt. Even worse, I know all the words to every single song. Way worse...I actually LIKE the songs. To be sure, I found myself this very morning getting excited when I heard the "Little Canoe" come on the radio. I even played it TWICE! It's got a great little jazzy riff with the saxophone...takes me back to Karl Denson (I reason). What the heck is that? See...like a ninja...Silly Songs and all their parental responsibility took me even farther away from my 10 years ago irresponsible roots.

What's a girl an old pregnant lady, to do? I know my life is different now. And, I know that having 10 years ago back for a week would be fun, and I hope that I get to visit with that time at some point in the not-too-distant future. Howevah, I like my life 10 years later much better. I'll take all the snotty noses, late night puke sessions (not involving excessive beer drinking), and scraped knees over 10 years ago that I can get. After all, 10 years later are laden with sweet kisses and "I love you, Mama" and the best snuggles an old pregnant lady a girl can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment