Thursday, June 2, 2011

Farewell, Nursery Road. Thanks for everything.


Well, that's that. School's out for summer. Of course, a lot of me is super happy to have my Ella and Summit home for the warmest months of the year. I look forward to late, lazy mornings, lounging by the pool, and cruising around on the lake in the middle of the week. No homework. No wrestling the kids out of bed at the crack of dawn. No worries about how they're dressed to see their friends at school. Freedom to chill. (They better not fight all summer, though. Ha! Right!)
But, part of me is a little sad, too. I mean, another year has passed. Another year my kids have grown older. Another year that I won't get back. They're getting so big and so independent. Summit's going to be in 4-year-old preschool next year. He speaks clearly and doesn't have that baby boy look so much anymore. He doesn't hold onto my leg as if he needs his mama to shield him from his insecurities because he's becoming a self-sufficient, confident little man. (However, he either doesn't care about his shoes being on the correct feet or he's just slow in that area, because he always gets it wrong.) And Ella's not gonna be a first grader anymore. She's got the school thing down pat. She's got the friend thing that makes her evolve farther away from me... farther away from needing me. She's developing her own sense of style and knows what she likes and doesn't like. (Unfortunately, some of that style is a little iffy taste-wise, but I'm trying to let her be herself.) Time is just passing so quickly. And I want it to just slow freaking down.



It was really hard for me to send my baby girl to school this year. Knowing that she had suffered such a traumatic experience with that awful first seizure that landed her in the PICU and not having any answers as to what caused it, I was downright terrified to let her out of my sight. But, her teachers washed my fears away from the moment we entered her classroom for the first time. The Schiessers were amazing. They are amazing. They helped my daughter to grow as a reader and a writer and a mathematician. They taught their students to love each other and instilled social skills that those children will carry with them far into their blossoming lives. They created a safe and nurturing classroom that surpassed every expectation that I had for my precious Ella, and I couldn't be more thankful for the hard work that they put into each and every day. I was so lucky to get to be a part of many of the class activities and I was even more fortunate to feel so welcomed by them each time I saw them. Saying goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Schiesser was not an easy task, and I know they must think I'm a little bit crazy for latching onto them almost as much as their students did.


And I know it was difficult for Ella, or Sweet Ella, as Mr. S. called her. She loved them both to pieces. She felt safe and special and loved under their charge. She's had a stellar year with some even more stellar teachers, and they proved just how outstanding they are when they tied up the end of school with a sweet ceremony for the kids called the Tin Can Awards, where Ella was honored with the Shining Star Award. It was like putting the perfect bow atop one of the most beautiful presents that a kid or parent could receive from a year of learning.
She also made some really great friends in first grade. Friends that helped her develop confidence and assurance that she's a right-on kinda person. Friends who she spoke about constantly and who she was always so excited to bring around me when I was at her school. Friends with whom she tore her hands up on the monkey bars every single day on the playground (that got a little old). Friends who she's cried for, knowing she'll miss them next year when she doesn't see them every day because she'll be at a different school. (Since Matt won't be teaching anymore, she'll have to go to her home school.)

Yeah, things are gonna change for us all. Ella won't get to ride with her daddy to school or have him just down the hall, and I know that he'll miss that just as much my girl. He's made some great friends at Nursery Road, too. He's learned a lot about himself as a teacher and a leader. He's loved working with his students and helping them to be better little people, and he's absolutely awesome at it. I know they'll miss him right back.


So, that's that. It's been a great ride at Nursery Road for both Ella and Matt. This transition is bittersweet for all of us, but I am certain that the road ahead is going to be full of excitement and successes.


No comments:

Post a Comment