Friday, June 10, 2011

Summit the Warrior Strikes Again.


In recent months, Summit has expanded his love for imagination to include pirates and ninjas and vikings. He still L.O.V.E.S dinosaurs, don't get me wrong, but he's broadening his horizons. And it's pretty funny. He loves bowing down on bended knee before me and saying stuff like, "I honor you, my lady. I am your viking and I will slay this dragon for you." Just as serious as he can possibly be. He really seems to think he's a knight in shining armor. Though, it's kind of weird when he tries to be the prince to his sister's princess... like today when offered her a diamond ring and said, "My princess, will you take this ring and be my wife." (What's up, West Virginia?)
Because we've tried to avoid promoting violent ideas and didn't buy him toy guns, he resorted to using my clothes hangers as a bow and arrow to defeat the mighty creatures. (Which, consequently, resulted in several destroyed hangers. All over the yard and house. Thanks for that, Summit.) Much to our chagrin, and his delight, my dad and brother started giving him those awful dart suction guns, which he has become quite adept at using. The kid has great aim. My forehead is all to aware of that ability. He does have a toy sword that he got when we were at Epcot over Christmas which he has wielded on many occasions against his sister, his parents, and the wild beast, Mercy Lou. At any time throughout a day, the roaring sounds of "ahahaha" and "arrr" and "chaaaa" resonate from his fierce lips when he knows he's overtaken his enemy.


Since pool season started, he's been using a noodle (broken in half by Popi) to be the best sword ever. Today in the pool, we fenced with the blue foam, and had the most fun. (I made sure to take that little viking down for waking us all up so early in the morning.) I think that he must have decided that he was a ninja rather than a knight today, though, because he carried that personality with him to dinner at Yamatos.
I should have known that he'd be immediately intrigued by the Japanese chef and his culinary shenanigans. And he was. I mean, the guy did come out with fingers blazing. Literally. He lit his fingers on fire right out of the gate. (Note to self: no fires, matches, lighters, etc. at the kid's disposal). Summit's attention was had. And then the guy started twirling the knives and spatulas around and making "hah" and "hut" sounds. That's when Summit asked for some chopsticks.

Did I think anything of it at the time? Nah. Should I have? Yeah. It seemed innocent and harmless. He asked me to sword fight with him with the chopsticks, and it was a good way to keep him entertained. And then we started eating... not paying close attention to his every move. So, that's when he made his move. I looked up from my plate of hot, fresh deliciousness when I heard him shout, "Hah!" And what was it my gift of sight laid before me? A chopstick stabbed through the bottom of his freshly refilled styrofoam cup of sprite. Like he needed to slay the cup. Really? Sprite was pouring out all over the table. All over Summit, who, by the way, cannot stand to be wet or dirty when he's not rolling in the mud or swimming in the pool. All over.

Thank goodness our waiter was around, as he had been relatively absent for the meal (he was new and bad at his job). And then the waiter shrugged it off as guys being kind of absent-minded and lacking in ability to think things through or pay attention to stuff. Really, Yamatos Waiter? I couldn't tell by your performance serving us. In the end, it was all good. Hopefully Summit learned a lesson not to poke your full cups with stuff, but if he's anything like that waiter, I'm gonna go with no.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment