Friday, December 9, 2011

To My Mother: Happy Birthday

When I was a little girl, I thought my mother's birthday was one of national significance. Perhaps that had something to do with the fact that it is right next door to December 7, the anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Perhaps. But, I think a lot of it was because that I think my mother is something of a national hero. She has, after all, been one of the most special and amazing and spectacular people in my life; certainly the same should hold true for everyone else who knows her.
So, yesterday was her birthday. Why, you may ask, am I writing this today? Well, I wanted to give it to her on a day that she could appreciate it. Why, you may ask, couldn't she appreciate it yesterday? Well, she was doing one of the things that she's done for as long as I can remember... something for someone else, or rather, something for an entire school of people, rather than celebrating her own birthday. This happens to everyone, yes, but for her it seems to happen more often than not. She makes a countless number of sacrifices for other people. Countless. And, many of those sacrifices go by unnoticed, unthanked. She doesn't say much about it, least of all to the person who receives the fortune of what she gave up. That's just her style.

When I was young, she did this a lot for me. She gave up her time to take me places, her new clothes so I could have the cutest stuff to wear, her sleep-filled nights to worry about making sure I was alright. I didn't appreciate then how much she was giving up for me, for my brothers and dad and grandmother and popa and her students and and and. As I've grown older, I've learned to pay attention, and I realize that her sacrifices are many. I know that she often feels torn between people, between things, between time. I know that it can be hard on her, unfair and exhausting, and still she does it. When she's sick, worn down, tired, overworked, unappreciated, you name it, she makes room in her life for the needs of other people. She loves that much.

I don't know too many people quite like that. I don't know too many people who deserve to have someone like that in their lives, me in particular. I know that I'm incredibly lucky to have my mother as my mama, and my kids are lucky to have their Babi as their grandmother. We couldn't be anymore blessed by her. Her beautiful smile and sparkling blue eyes and giving spirit. Her great, big heart.
For all that you do for us, thank you, mother. Happy happy birthday.

1 comment: